Friday, 4 April 2014

The Green Crocodiles bite back at The Lions

Galatasaray drew 2-2 against fellow Süper Lig side Bursaspor at home (Tuesday 25th March) in the Ziraat Cup semi-final. The last time both sides met in Istanbul was back in early February when Cim Bom beat the Bursa side 6-0 on the day. The Lions shot themselves in the foot in the second half with some woeful defending; Bursaspor's two goals gives them the advantage going into the second leg on away goals.

The Parçalı side took the lead in the early minutes of the game, Burak found Wesley Sneijder in the Bursaspor box and slotted in from close range past a dazed looking Sébastien Frey who simply watched the ball go into the bottom right corner of the net.

Just before half time Galatasaray doubled their lead, Argentinian defender Renato Civelli brought down Umut and referee Mustafa Kemal Abitoğlu awarded the home side a penalty. Selçuk stepped up to take the penalty and put his shot into the bottom right hand corner of the goal.

The Green Crocodiles pulled a goal back within a minute of the second half,  Şener crossed in from the right hand side and volkan converted with a headed effort. The Galatasaray defense failed to mark the former Trabzonspor player who was left open in the box and was able to head past Muslera with ease.

Bursaspor kept on breaking into the final third, however, their efforts didn't cause any problems for Muslera with the likes of Fernando Belluschi shooting off-target.

Galatasaray didn't have many chances, the only one that really comes to mind was when Hajrović (who replaced Selçuk) played a through ball to Burak, the Turkish international hit his shot directly at Sébastien Frey who parried the ball away, the rebound came back to Burak who then scuffed his second attempt. It was definitely a golden opportunity for Cim Bom to go in front and it was another example of how bad Burak's finishing has been of late.

Moments later the away side equalised, Ferhat found Bekir in the box, the former Manisaspor player's first effort was blocked by Hakan who came sliding in, the ball came back to the Bursaspor midfielder who blasted the ball into the back of the net.

It was another shocking display by Galatasaray both in terms of making chances and also failing to mark and close down the Bursaspor attacks. The Lions face The Green Crocodiles at the Bursa Atatürk on Tuesday 15th April. The other semi-final match sees Antalyaspor take on Eskişehirspor at the Akdeniz University Stadium. The Scorpions previously won 1-0 in Eskişehir, substitute Uğur scored the winner in the eighty third minute of the game.

GALATASARAY: Muslera, Sabri, Burdisso (Semih 53 mins), Hakan, Telles, Ceyhun, Sneijder, Melo, Selçuk (Hajrović 64 mins), Burak, Umut Bulut (Yekta 81 mins).

No comments:

Post a Comment